This article is about the top 10 best Maldivian resorts for snorkeling and diving. The Maldives is home to a multitude of luxury resorts and coastal hotels. These resorts and hotels provide numerous services with snorkeling and diving topping off the list. As a matter of fact, most of them are surrounded by magnificent house reefs. Ideally packed with tropical corals and a variety of aquatic life. To sum it up, find below the 10 best Maldivian resorts for your underwater adventures!
MIRIHI ISLAND RESORT
Located in the beautiful South Ari Atoll, Mirihi Island Resort is just 350 meters long and 50 meters wide. The island features glistening white beaches and a turquoise lagoon. Not only is Mirihi considered as one of the smallest islands in the country. But also is uniquely surrounded by a breath-taking house reef.
At Mirihi you can:
- Explore from different reefs in the Atoll
- Check out the shipwreck at Mirihi house reef
- Encounter the gentle whale shark
- Go night snorkeling and observe sleeping fish
Ultimately, this will be an ethereal experience that you will remember!
Anantara Kihavah is based within the UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. Notably offering exhilarating snorkeling and diving adventures around their treasured reef. The island is perfectly nestled in the Baa Atoll which is also home to Hanifaru Bay. In other words, Baa Atoll is the world-renowned haven for protected marine life.
At Anantara Kihavah you can:
- Discover the plankton’s blooming from May to November every year
- Snorkel with squadrons of mantas and encounter whale sharks feeding alongside the mantas
- Participate in exciting excursion options such as Dolphin Discovery or Turtle Quest
- Hire the marine biologist for a private dive
Spice up your stay at Anantara Kihavah with their exciting excursion options!
Kandolhu Maldives is conveniently located in the central Ari Atoll. The island is enveloped by a stunning house reef. As well as access to 12 classic dive sites from the resort. Moreover, there a few other sites within reach of Kandolhu in North Ari Atoll.
At Kandolhu Maldives you can:
- Get up close with gigantic mantas and hawks bill turtles
- Discover the 30-year-old famous Fesdu shipwreck
- Discover big schools of fusiliers, bat-fish and banner fish
- Dive at 04 protected marine areas: Maaya Thila, Orimas Thila, Kari Beyru Thila and Fishhead
Generally speaking, Kandolhu is a topper when it comes to discovering the magnificent underwater world!
Hurawalhi Maldives is located on a private coral island in the north of Lhaviyani Atoll. The resort is for adults only and is surrounded by a vibrant house reef. Lhaviyani Atoll has over 50 dive sites, with new sites revealed regularly. Likewise, there are numerous places awaiting to be explored just a few kicks away from Hurawalhi.
At Hurawalhi Maldives you can:
- Snorkel and dive at house reefs, underwater island and out reefs of Lhaviyani Atoll
- Go on half and full day snorkeling trips
- Explore from colorful corals, anemones with clown fish, hawks bill turtles and large tunas
- Participate in the Hurawalhi Manta experience and dance underwater with the mantas
To emphasize, Hurawalhi definitely reigns in its position in the 10 best Maldivian resorts list!
Kuredu Maldives rests on the northern tip of Lhaviyani Atoll. The resort is located just a 40-minute scenic seaplane journey from the Velana International Airport. Significantly, Kuredu features a vast turquoise lagoon and fringing reefs perfect for snorkeling. In fact, the house reef is home to an abundance of fish and marine life.
At Kuredu Maldives you can:
- Dive at over 60 dive sites accessible from Kuredu
- Dive at famous site like Kuredu Caves, Anemone Thila, Fushivaru Thila and Kandu Express
- Hang out with pelagic fish and cruise along with sharks
- Encounter dancing mantas
In any event, the experience is endless and unforgettable!
This luxury 5-star hotel is in the North Ari Atoll, just a 25-minute seaplane journey from the Velana International Airport. W Maldives is based upon one of the best house reefs in the Maldives that is home to numerous marine life species. You can snorkel with the teeming marine life at the house reef. On the other hand, be lucky enough to encounter a few reef sharks just gliding along.
At W Maldives you can:
- Snorkel with flamboyant fish, rays, turtles and tunas
- Venture deep and encounter Angel, Parrot, Hawk or Moorish fish
- Dive further to encounter sharks, stingrays, dolphins and turtles
- Visit the surrounding dive site in North Male Atoll and Vaavu Atoll and discover swim through channels, caves and large overhangs
Given these points, W Maldives definitely has a well deserved position in the 10 best Maldivian resorts list!
Located 126km North West of Male’, Milaidhoo is encircled by a beautiful coral reef. For this reason, the resort is famous for snorkeling and diving. The resort is also part of the UNESCO biosphere reserve. Moreover, it is also close to the world renowned Hanifaru Bay.
At Milaidhoo Maldives you can:
- Go snorkeling and say hi to the five resident hawks bill turtles at the house reef: Sam, Bumblebee, Emmy, Flori and Milly
- Experience the nightlife of sea by night diving or fluoro night dives
- Encounter the world’s largest group of Mantas
- Or get up close with the gentle whale shark
To summarize, the underwater quest at Milaidhoo is unrivaled.
SIX SENSES LAAMU
Six Senses Laamu is the only resort located in the Laamu Atoll. The island is surrounded by a rich house reef that extends incomparable underwater adventures. To emphasize, the house reef is home to a myriad of colorful corals and various types of marine life. With this in mind, you can choose to snorkel the shallow waters or dive deep into the blue.
At Six Senses Laamu you can:
- Go on a 2-hour snorkeling adventure with the guidance of snorkel guides and the resident marine biologist at the two of the most impressive snorkeling sites in the atoll
- Swim along with mantas, stingrays, barracudas, napoleon wrasses, turtles, sharks and whale sharks
- Choose from various diving activities and experiences ranging from private diving to diving with the Laamu Mantas
- Some of the favorite dive sites include, reef dives, kandus and thilas
Overall, Six Senses Laamu presents an exhilarating underwater paradise that you can’t resist!
Located in the North Male’ Atoll and just a 25-minute speedboat ride away, Baros Maldives is bordered by a brilliant house reef. For instance, the island is well known for remarkable snorkeling experiences. Namely due to the reason that the house reef is located so close to the shore. The marine center at Baros Maldives offers a variety of snorkeling explorations that you can take part in.
At Baros Maldives you can:
- Take part in the Baros house reef tour
- Take up night snorkeling or private snorkeling
- Get up close and personal with reef sharks, turtles, moray eels and mantas
- Engage in a worthwhile dive adventure with the PADI 5-star Gold Palm Dive Center team
As has been noted, Baros is the ideal destination for snorkeling and diving.
LUX* SOUTH ARI ATOLL
The lavish LUX* South Ari Atoll resort inhabits the island of Dhidhoofinolhu as per the one island, one resort concept. The island is a picturesque 25-minute seaplane journey from Velana International Airport. LUX* South Ari features an extensive lagoon surrounding the island. Not to mention, the house reef is replete with an array of vibrant fishes and corals.
At LUX* South Ari Atoll you can:
- Encounter from shoals of butterfly fish and oriental sweet-lips to turtles, dolphins and mantas
- Say hello to the whale shark with guidance of the resident marine biologist
- Choose from tailored programs led by the 5-star PADI IDC Dive Center’s experienced instructors
- Go on an ethereal night snorkeling and explore the corals, fish and other marine life under in fluorescent light
Altogether, this will make your stay exciting regardless of the time of the year you book it for!
This article was written by Fathimath Mahy