Maldives was recognised by voters from around the globe as the World’s Leading Beach Destination.
HNA Tourism Group shone the spotlight on the rapid development of Chinese hospitality, taking the title of World’s Leading Integrated Tourism Group.
In South America, Ecuador was awarded the trophy for World’s Leading Green Destination.
Frasers Hospitality was honoured with the title of World’s Leading Serviced Apartment Brand, while Europcar took the title World’s Leading Green Transport Solution Company.
Partners for the Grand Final 2016 included Sun Siyam Group, Trans Maldivian Airways, SriLankan Airlines, Ooredoo, and St. Petersburg Committee for Tourism Development.
TV5 Monde acted as the World Travel Awards’ Intentional Broadcast Partner.
World Travel Awards was established in 1993 to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the tourism industry.
Today, the World Travel Awards brand is recognised globally as the ultimate hallmark of quality, with winners setting the benchmark to which all others aspire.
Each year World Travel Awards covers the globe with a series of regional gala ceremonies staged to recognise and celebrate individual and collective successes within each key geographical region.
World Travel Awards Gala Ceremonies are widely regarded as the best networking opportunities in the travel industry, attended by government and industry leaders, luminaries, and international print and broadcast media.
Maldives won three prestigious categories for the destination:
- World’s Leading Beach Destination 2016
- World’s Leading Dive Destination 2016
- World’s Best Spa Destination 2016
Additional 9 awards won by the Maldives Tourism Industry:
- World’s Leading Airport Resort 2016 – Hulhulé Island Hotel, Maldives
- World’s Leading Boutique Cruise 2016 – Four Seasons Explorer, Maldives
- World’s Leading Boutique Villa Resort 2016 – AnantaraVeli Maldives Resort
- World’s Leading Dive Resort 2016 – Constance Moofushi, Maldives
- World’s Leading New Resort 2016 – AaaVeee Nature’s Paradise, Maldives
- World’s Leading Private Island Resort 2016 – COMO Cocoa Island, Maldives
- World’s Leading Underwater Hotel Restaurant 2016 – Sea @ Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
- World’s Leading Water Villa Resort 2016 – The Sun Aqua Vilu Reef
- World’s Most Romantic Resort 2016 – Baros Maldives
About World Travel Awards
World Travel Awards celebrates its 23rd anniversary this year and is acknowledged across the globe as the ultimate travel accolade.
Attended by senior executives from major travel companies, operators, destinations, WTA events are universally respected as providing established, top level networking opportunities, regionally and globally.
The brand aims to celebrate those organisations who push the boundaries of industry excellence.
More Press Releases
You and Me Maldives Introduces “Dine Around” Concept
Kandolhu Maldives Launches New All-Inclusive Spa Concept, ‘Well-Inclusive Spa’
Kuramathi Maldives Honours World Environment and World Oceans Day
Hotel Jen Male’, Maldives by Shangri-La celebrates Global Wellness Day 2019
LUX* North Male’ Atoll Unveils its LUX* Retreats a first of its kind in the Maldives